Thursday, December 16, 2010

Strategy: veggie

Hi to all lovebird aficionados! This is my first blog. I just want to share something about feeding lovebirds. I’m going to talk about giving vegetables to lovebirds. But first I will say something about feeding. Sunflower seed is the most common seed we give to them. We give them that because we see it on most of the pet shops. Sunflower seed is high in fat. That’s why pet shops give sunflower seed to look their lovebirds big and bulky. (If anyone was affected on what I had just said, I just say what I saw.)

Did you know that it is not only the “black and stripes” we can give to them? My lovebird’s main dish is composed of different seeds like oat groat, bird seed and canary seed. My ratio is… 3 : 3 : 1 : 1 (sunflower seed : oat groat : bird seed : canary seed). Also you can try sorghum and jockey oats. Also don’t forget to attach a cuttlebone to their cage. This is their source of calcium.

Let’s now talk about my main story. I believed on the word that says, “all-seed diet is not a complete diet”. Most of all if you are breeding them.Lovebirds are also like us, humans. They need also nutrients coming from different foods. One of the most nutritious foods is what I had said a while ago is… vegetable! Everyday, I give my lovebirds a lot of fresh vegetables. Cabbage, kangkong, pechay, baguio pechay and spinach are some that my lovebirds like to eat. You can also give other green leafy vegetables like parsley, malunggay, lettuce, kamote tops and others. It’s easy to do, just follow my steps.

  1. Get different kinds of vegetables that are good for a day. (if your wallet can purchase those vegetablesJ) But at least one can do just like me, I just give cabbage…for free!

  1. Vegetables that have big leaves like cabbage and pechay, cut or tear them into strips, not too small.

  1. Clean out by your hands on running water.

  1. Soak them into a tray or bowl. If you have only small flock of lovebirds, a drinking tumbler will do (like me! J).

  1. Put it inside the refrigerator to absorb the water for easy chewing. A 1 hour soak can be given.

  1. You don’t need to remove the tray or bowl from the refrigerator. Just pick them up.

  1. Rinse it with running water. To lessen the coldness and remove impurities.

  1. Hang it on top or their cage using a clothe clip.

It will attract them especially when it is wet. It makes the environment more adaptive to them. I always change their veggies every 1-2 hrs. to prevent bacterial growth. Some lovebirds are picky but if you do it all the time everyday, they will try it. You can try also giving diced carrots, corn on the cob, green peas and fruits. Patience is the key. Young lovebirds are exploring things when they come out from the nest box. So if you offer vegetables as early as they can eat solid foods, they become more like to eat vegetables.

Precaution:

  1. Don’t let it hang exceeding 2 hrs! Bacterial growth may start!

  1. Use a durable and high-quality plastic clothe clip. Some are easy to grind up and it may ingest your lovebirds.

  1. Don’t give rot vegetables. Discard parts where you can see discoloration or black spots.

  1. Don’t expose it to direct sunlight. It dries up easily.

I read a certain vegetable called wheatgrass. It is the complete vegetable of all vegetable for lovebirds. I still try to find where I can purchase that. If anyone knows about wheatgrass, please share to us. Well I hope it helps you and your lovebirds. Peace out guys!

By: Julius ULBP Member